Monday, March 9, 2009

The smell of the bovie.....

There are several reasons I love the OR.  Who would have thought I would like it this much?  I used to have a serious vasovagal problem, and would pass out in many gory situations....but now I thrive on it! I have been a list maker for many years of my life....I used to do it in class during school when I was trying to stay awake.  This won't be as exciting as the trauma list, but here are the reasons I like the OR in no particular order:
1.  It's like Anatomy class in real time.
2.  Clean is an understatement......it's sterile!
3.  Immediate gratification: bad appendix, take it out (you get the picture)
4.  There is always someone to hand you the equipment you need.
5.  Music! You can do your job while listening to your favorite tunes.  I always thought my life should have a soundtrack =0).
6.  Hands on learning....so much better than class!
7.  I like asking people if they have farted every day. Ha ha!

There are a lot of things I don't like about the OR (pimping, waking up before dawn, standing for hours, some of the extreme Type A surgeons, etc.), but for the most part the good outweighs the bad.  Now if I could just get a job doing this........

2 comments:

Nat Lud said...

Loving that last one. He he! It's sad that I still think farting is cause for giggling! :) You amaze me all the time with your skills, knowledge, and drive. You are a great gal!

chelsea mckell said...

surgeons listen to music while operating?!?! Scary!

Hey - heads up - you got visitors again this weekend, if that's ok. Same deal - we'll arrive late Friday night and we gone saturday afternoon. I have a race, B has bball, and we're going to the Draper open house then visiting Marilyn (wanna come too?)
see ya friday!