Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bright & Shiny

So I know the last post was kind of a depressing reality check........a reminder that life's not fair.....

Here's an update that will show you my job is not all dark and twisty heartbreak:

Since I only work in the hospital, I don't see anyone for follow-up. Therefore, I don't know how they are doing unless one of my docs or their NP's tell me. There was a young guy, in his 20s, that had a nasty wreck on his longboard (NO helmet). This resulted in 2 craniotomies and severe traumatic brain injury. He left the ICU to go to an LTAC (an acute, advanced nursing facility) and I honestly didn't think he was going to wake up. We had to remove 6 cm of his brain because it herniated - when he left he didn't open his eyes and only moved his arms/legs spontaneously......and his Mom was always there, never giving up, rejoicing in every little advancement he made, exhibiting incredible patience when we told her over and over that time will tell his outcome...

Today, Dave, who works in the office sent me a text that said he just saw this longboarder walk into his office.......awake.........talking..........back to life!!!

This canceled out all the dark and twisty I have seen for weeks!!

Hope you felt the warm & fuzzies too =)

No comments: