Monday, January 25, 2010

Time.......


Wow! It has been a while since I posted on here eh?? Sometimes I feel like my posts need pics, but then I remind myself I can always find an appropriate pic on line!!

New Years has past, and there are a number of things I want to do this year.........yet because of the patients I have seen recently......I have been reliving the past!! I knew when I took this job, there was going to be a lot of sad and heart wrenching circumstances, and thus far the position is yet to disappoint. Lately though, I have been seeing a bunch of 18-20 year olds who have experienced a devastating event, obliterating their senior year in high school as they know it -- or changing their lives forever!

-A Cheerleader relearning to walk - getting over the fact her hair is only 1/2 an inch long, and that her biggest triumph this week was wiggling her toes.....

-A State Champion Wrestler, who was "kicking butt" this season, top of his game in his weight, in incredible physical form, who now is trying to regain strength and mobility in his whole right 1/2 of his body. He can still get the chicks though!! Ha ha - such a flirt!

-An outgoing rodeo cowgirl, returning from her first job at a State Fair - now will never walk, and is hoping for ANYTHING (except the crazy nerve pain she currently has) below her waist.

-A 20 y/o cowboy, bull rider, working hard, caught up in the little nuances that seem to overwhelm life - and now is fighting to regain function in his lungs so he can also work on ANYTHING he can get back below his waist -- right now....not so much.

At this time during my senior year: I was getting ready for state drill team competition, trying out for the All State Team, looking forward to every basketball game, every dance, stressing about getting ready for Sterling Scholar, looking forward to spring, softball, and not having to worry about anything after Drill Team tryouts. We took 2nd in State Softball my senior year.....all this would have been soooooo insignificant if I suddenly couldn't walk, squeeze my boyfriends hand, or even wiggle my own toes.........

So what were you doing your senior year??? The summer after high school??? And what would you have done had any of this happened to you?? Makes you think huh?

1 comment:

Ashley said...

It does make me think about it, it is really sad for them. I can't believe all of the things that you are seeing in your job, crazy!!! See you soon.