Wednesday, October 8, 2008

My favorite part......

I usually think that I have to post a picture in order for me to post on my blog, which is entirely not true, but I still find that necessary.  So I am trying something different.  I have been in a primary care practice for the past 2 months which does a lot of OB/GYN and pediatrics.  I was terrified at the beginning because I knew NOTHING about taking care of someone throughout their pregnancy, and as most of you know, I haven't ever carried a child to full term so I don't know what that is like either!  So I often feel pretty inadequate when I try to sympathize with some of the pregnant women who have had numerous problems and suffered a lot during their pregnancy.  Then I remember that it's not about me sharing my experiences (or lack thereof) with them, but it's about helping them be as comfortable as possible, listening to their concerns and questions, knowing the answers, and giving reassurance.  
Also, I have discovered that deliveries are my favorite part!  I know that PAs aren't usually delivering babies, but I am still glad that I was able to participate in many moments when a little one takes it's first breath, cries for the first time, and even all the messy gooey stuff along the way. =0)  I was clamping the cord for an eager Dad to cut, and suctioning out a baby's mouth and nose last week, and I actually enjoyed it!  Surprise, I actually like OB!  After the class, I didn't think I would.......but I always wait and try to be open minded when I start in a new field.  I learned long ago when I was a Med Tech that what you learn in class isn't usually what real life is like.  
Anyway, just thought I would put that out there.............let you all know what I have been doing.  I am with Dr. Elizabeth Dayton, who is in Payson, UT near the Mountain View Hospital.  It might be really awkward to have her deliver my kids because I have worked with her, but I would recommend her to anyone!  She really cares for her patients and their children, and she prioritizes the care of her patients over their ability to pay.  What a great example and teacher!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

Sounds like you are having some awesome experiences there.

Jami & Mark said...

Yep! Lots of people get to birth kids.......but how many people get to experience this with other people, and help their lil ones come into this life? It's a good time =0)

chelsea mckell said...

I agree - you dont need a picture to upload in order to do a blog post. Im glad you didnt wait. Then again, if you did post a picture to go with this blog... it could be kinda gruesome...
:)
Have you been able to help out with any c-sections? Im wondering if those are more "ooey gooey" than regular births. And why dont they let dads cut the cord in c-sections?!?! Brian was jipped.

Jami & Mark said...

Yeah, I didn't want anyone's personal parts being displayed on my blog! I have helped with 1 C-section thus far, because it was during office hours. There is a little more blood, just because you have to get through so many layers to get to the uterus/amniotic sac, but otherwise it is the same. I totally understand why it is more painful to recover.....they really have to stretch your muscles/fascia/uterus open to get that kid out! I now have anew appreciation for vaginal births!

The reason that the Daddy's can't cut the cord during a C-section is because he would contaminate the sterile field. He would have to scrub in, gown up in a sterile gown, gloves, etc. and learn to keep your arms/hands right at the chest level without going above the chest or below the table. It is just to cumbersome to teach every new father "sterile technique", especially when it wasn't a planned C-section. This is abdominal surgery, and the doctors have to do all they can to prevent infection while your abdomen is wide open. Yeah, the dad's miss out a little, but its worth it for Mom/baby's health and recovery.

Wow, that was a long one! Hope that explains it! Next time you can do a vaginal delivery and he can cut the cord =0).

john weaver said...

hey guys I like what jamie said about music expressing feelings that could not be expressed any other way, and im jealous about the buck that mark shot it looks like a big one.