Saturday, September 19, 2009

Jami Z. McKell, PA-Celebration!

If there are any loyal blog readers still out there after I have neglected it for some time.....you may be pleased to know I am back! I just finished my certification exam on Tuesday, .....found out I PASSED it on Thursday......and accepted the job I REALLY wanted on Wednesday! We have been celebrating all week! I don't think Mark has gone out to eat this many days in a row for years! Well, Thurs. was also Grandpa McKell's 91st Birthday - so we had lots of reasons to celebrate! Just in case you haven't heard.......I accepted an inpatient position at Utah Valley Regional Medical Center with their Neurosurgery Service, primarily working with Dr. Howard Reichman, as well as Dr. Gardner and Dr. Gaufin. I am soooooo excited - but nervous too! If you know me well....you know I haven't worked much at all in neurosurgery, so this will be a steep learning curve for me! However, I get to learn from some incredible neurosurgeons, with no interns, residents, or fellows in the way! This is a new position at this hospital - and I won't be working in their clinic like some of their established NPs. Eventually, I will be the face you see when you come into the hospital with a head or spine injury -- watch out! I am so fortunate to be able to learn from an incredible surgeon, and that he was willing to take a new grad & be my mentor!

I do not possess the most esteemed degree or position in the family (especially one including an eye doctor, dentists, lawyers, and numerous other graduate and incredibly difficult bachelor's and technical degrees), but I think I do win the contest for the most letters after my name. If I write everything out it reads: Jami Z. McKell, PA-C, MPAS, MT (ASCP), BS. I don't get paid as much as the O.D.'s, the D.D.S.'s and such, but hey - I will graciously accept my own letter award! Oh, if any of my family members read this....and I'm wrong....I will rightfully give up any honors I may have received! Ha ha!

Sorry about the blog neglect - I have been graduating & studying - well...kinda. Please scroll down later to view what has been happening since I graduated from school!

6 comments:

Nat Lud said...

You are a pretty amazing gal! So happy for you that you are done with school and have found a great job. We have a pretty fond liking of neurosurg people!

Marilyn said...

I am so happy for you, Jami. I am thrilled that you got the job you wanted as well. You have exciting days ahead of you!

chelsea mckell said...

Jumungous congrats!

Though I hope if we ever see your face at the hospital, it's because we're just visiting, not needing your professional services...

And yep - the most titles after your name, for sure. I'm just an MPH, and I bet 99% of the world has no idea what that means. I, myself, might be included in that 99% on some days..

Looking forward to more details on the actual work you do - please share any scary/crazy stories that you come upon!

Jami & Mark said...

I know what a MPH means - I spent 15 months in a classroom next to a bunch of individuals who were trying to earn one! you finished your masters before most of us finished undergrad! Pretty crazy feat!

Ashley said...

Hey....I am really really proud of you, that is awesome. I don't know what any of the things mean behind your degree, but I think it is awesome that you finished with flying colors. When I tell people up here at the U that you graduated in the PA program, they always say that it is a really hard program to get into. That is great and I am really excited about your job, that will be great experience and I am sure that you will love it. Congrats again, we will probably see you soon. I know that Grandpa McKell was thrilled as well...he was talking about it a lot on his birthday. Also John said to tell you congratulations.

BBS said...

Way to go Jami! You are simply amazing and we are so proud of you.
You will love my next door neighbor, and we love Dr. Gaufin also.