Thursday, April 2, 2009

Suction

I have one day of surgery left.  I wake up at 3-3:30 AM, drive 45 min, and sometimes stay until 6:30 pm in the OR.  You would think I would be sick and tired of it, but it's days like today that sucks me in to this atmosphere.  I learned today that once you mess with someone's anatomy, it creates a hot mess for those who have to fix it later.  I watched an unexpected arterial bleed turn a surgeon's world upside down, watched and listened to the intensity in the room as his plan was executed, and then the profound relief as we all confirmed its success.  He didn't make a mistake, he encountered an unexpected problem due to the pt's crazy anatomy.  I then observed the gratitude he expressed to the team who helped him.  After an intense 6 hrs with a life-threatening situation, there is a different connection between the people who walk away from it.  I think it shows true character of a person, how they react, treat other people, and recover from it.   It's all this that makes the OR a rewarding place to be.....that is, if you are in there with the right person!  I am going to miss it.....

By the way......ted hose are incredible! Especially while standing for hours and hours!

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

It sounds like you have had some really positive experiences in surgeries. You will make a wonderful PA, Jami.

chelsea mckell said...

Veryvery few things could be worth waking up for the day at 3am.
This sounds like on of them!